As a journalist and editor your work has to make a real-life impact, but this can be very challenging with complex and controversial issues related to Africa-China. How do you ensure your work is impactful and incisive yet understandable to the general public?
The Africa-China Reporting Project (ACRP) and the China Africa Research Initiative (SAIS-CARI) based at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in Washington DC invite African and Chinese journalists and editors to apply for a Virtual Journalism Workshop on China’s Overseas Lending using the case of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) project in Kenya. The workshop will provide practical guidance to journalists and editors who seek a deeper understanding of Chinese lending in order to produce more accurate and insightful journalism.
- Deborah Brautigam: Director of SAIS-CARI at Johns Hopkins University, author of The Dragon’s Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa and many other Africa-China studies
- Laure Deron: Member of the Paris Bar, Laure has worked as an international corporate lawyer in Paris and Beijing and taught at the University of Paris I – Panthéon – Sorbonne and the Central University of Finance and Economics in Beijing
- Vijay Bhalaki: Co-founder and Director at Athena Infonomics. Vijay works closely with development agencies, private sector clients and governments on strategic advisory assignments. His research interests include Public Private Partnerships (PPPs), Public Finance and Social Infrastructure Development
This virtual workshop will be held on Zoom on Monday 14 June 2021 from 2 pm to 4 pm CAT.
How to apply
Please address an email with the heading APPLICATION: CHINESE OVERSEAS LENDING WORKSHOP 2021 and containing the following items (in attachments in MS Word or PDF formats) to [email protected] by no later than 4 June 2021:
- Applicant CV including list of previous Africa-China reporting (if any), and stating clearly the applicant name and current affiliation
- Cover letter explaining:
- What previous work you have produced and/or supervised on China’s overseas lending and related topics
- Your interest in Chinese overseas lending and how it affects your work, and/or what aspects you plan to investigate in future and how
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For any questions please contact [email protected].