Wits University and the Africa-China Reporting Project invite you to:
Belt & Road Conference
23 November 2018, 08:30-14:00 including lunch
Exam Hall at Linder Auditorium, Wits Education Campus, 27 St Andrews Road, Parktown
Parking is available throughout the Education Campus. Please see here for a map of the Education Campus or here for detailed directions on how to get to the Education Campus.
RSVP to Bongiwe Tutu at ACRPContact@gmail.com
The BRI Conference will explore Chinese perspectives on the Belt & Road Initiative (BRI) and is part of ongoing engagement on the BRI at Wits University.
The BRI is an inter-regional connectivity drive adopted by the Chinese Government involving infrastructure development and investments in countries in Europe, Asia and Africa to link China and the world via maritime and terrestrial trade corridors.
The Belt & Road Conference will provide an opportunity for South African media, researchers, think tanks, government and the public to engage directly with African and Chinese experts on the BRI and to consider South Africa’s potential participation in the BRI.
The conference will consist of two sessions:
- Session 1: BRI in concept and practice
- Session 2: How to connect the BRI with South Africa
Speakers at the BRI Conference will include:
- Professor Adam Habib, Wits University Vice-Chancellor and Principal
- Ambassador Lin Songtian, Chinese Ambassador in South Africa
- Jesse Duarte, African National Congress Deputy Secretary-General
- Cedric Frolick, House Chairperson: Committees, Parliament of South Africa
- Dr Anil Sooklal, South Africa Department of International Relations and Cooperation Deputy Director-General
- Dr Yazini April, Research Specialist at the Human Sciences Research Council Africa Institute
- Associate Professor Liu Haifang, Director, Centre for African Studies, School of International Studies, Peking University, China
- Professor Fan Desheng, International Business School, Beijing Foreign Studies University, China
To attend please RSVP to Bongiwe Tutu at ACRPcontact@gmail.com.